VET Schools and Higher Colleges in Austria
This website contains a database in order to find technical and vocational schools and higher vocational colleges in upper secondary education in Austria – but sorry it’s only in German. It is a project by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research, DG for General and Vocational Education; in co-operation with students, teachers and guidance counsellors.
Schools and Higher Colleges – in VET upper secondary education – in Austria provide technical and/or vocational training from the ninth school year, in addition to a broad general education. VET schools and higher colleges comprise:
- Part-time Vocational Schools for Apprentices
- Schools and Colleges of Engineering, Arts and Crafts
- Schools and Colleges of Business Administration
- Schools and Colleges of Management and Services Industries
- Schools and Colleges of Tourism
- Schools and Colleges of Fashion, Colleges of Art and Design
- Schools of Social Occupations
- Colleges of Agriculture and Forestry
- Nursery Teacher Training Colleges and Colleges of Social Pedagogy
including special courses and pilot projects. Many of them are provided for people under employment.
Duration of schools for vocational education (ISCED 3)
in general: 3-year course or 4-year course, the final exam is the Abschlussprüfung that enables to professional qualifications; some schools offer one-year and two-year courses (from ninth school year).
German: Fachschule, Handelsschule
Duration of colleges for higher vocational education (ISCED 3/5)
- five year course; the final exam is the Reife- und Diplomprüfung (Reifeprüfung and VET Diploma) that opens up access to tertiary education and also to regulated professional activities.
- 4th to 5th grade of this programme as well as the educational achievement are ISCED 550
- German: Höherere Lehranstalt; Bildungsanstalt, Handelsakademie
Other VET school types
- Post-secondary Courses (ISCED 550), 4 – 6 semester; German: Kolleg
- Add-on Courses (ISCED 550), 6 semester; German: Aufbaulehrgang
- Foreperson and Master Craftsperson Courses (ISCED 550), 4 – 6 semester; German: Werkmeisterschule, Meisterschule
System of marks (grades)
1 = very good (best mark)
2 = well done
3 = satisfactory
4 = sufficient
5 = not sufficient (negative mark)
of a school year: from September to June, in general 40 weeks
of lessons per week: from 32 to 37
of a lesson: 45 min. or 50 min.