VET Schools and Higher Colleges in Austria
This website contains a database in order to find technical and vocational schools and higher vocational colleges in upper secondary education in Austria – but sorry it’s only in German. It is a project by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, DG for Technical and Vocational Education and Training; in co-operation with students, teachers and guidance counsellors.
Schools and Higher Colleges – in VET upper secondary education – in Austria provide technical and/or vocational training from the ninth school year, in addition to a broad general education. VET schools and higher colleges comprise:
- Part-time Vocational Schools for Apprentices
- Schools and Colleges of Engineering, Arts and Crafts
- Schools and Colleges of Business Administration
- Schools and Colleges of Management and Services Industries
- Schools and Colleges of Tourism
- Schools and Colleges of Fashion, Colleges of Art and Design
- Schools of Social Occupations
- Colleges of Agriculture and Forestry
- Nursery Teacher Training Colleges and Colleges of Social Pedagogy
including special courses and pilot projects. Many of them are provided for people under employment.
If you would like to get a quick overview about our schools, click the link (dur. 3 min.) and choose the English version:
Duration of schools for vocational education (ISCED 3)
in general: 3-year course or 4-year course, the final exam is the Abschlussprüfung that enables to professional qualifications; some schools offer one-year and two-year courses (from ninth school year).
German: Fachschule, Handelsschule
Duration of colleges for higher vocational education (ISCED 3/5)
- five year course; the final exam is the Reife- und Diplomprüfung (Reifeprüfung and VET Diploma) that opens up access to tertiary education and also to regulated professional activities.
- 4th to 5th grade of this programme as well as the educational achievement are ISCED 550
- German: Höherere Lehranstalt; Bildungsanstalt, Handelsakademie
Other VET school types
- Post-secondary Courses (ISCED 550), 4 – 6 semester; German: Kolleg
- Add-on Courses (ISCED 550), 6 semester; German: Aufbaulehrgang
- Foreperson and Master Craftsperson Courses (ISCED 550), 4 – 6 semester; German: Werkmeisterschule, Meisterschule
System of marks (grades)
1 = very good (best mark)
2 = well done
3 = satisfactory
4 = sufficient
5 = not sufficient (negative mark)
of a school year: from September to June, in general 40 weeks
of lessons per week: from 32 to 37
of a lesson: 45 min. or 50 min.